Somme Commemorations in Sutton, Friday 1st July

This week’s post is a heads up about an exciting event happening later this week. It comes with rather short notice, for which we apologise,  but we are thrilled to be involved in the Borough’s Somme commemorations, happening on this coming Friday, 1st July.  We do hope that some of our local followers will be able to…

Disappearing Act: The Budibent Twins and their Hidden Mother….

Today’s post looks at a seemingly innocuous looking plate depicting two small babies. The plate was originally singled out for research by one of our team as the pair were recorded as twins and it seemed likely that a match could easily be found. This indeed proved to be true. Susan Giddings, Local Studies & Archives…

“Lax Ladies, Liquor, Loafing, Lechery and Lust – Dire Doings of Dour Dunedin’s Doleful Daughters”

Sadly, it is not always possible to research the subjects of our plates in as much detail as we would like. In 80% of cases this is purely because there is a lack of available information but in the other 20% we sometimes really have to ask ourselves how relevant the details of a particular…

2nd Lieutenant Harry Anderton Squier, 8th Bedfordshire Regiment.

Today’s post is about another local soldier who featured in the recent World War One exhibition and sadly did not survive the war. Research was carried out by Kath Shawcross, Borough Archivist. 2nd Lieutenant Harry Anderton Squier. 8th (Service) Bedfordshire Regiment (originally 1/8th Service Battalion Royal Fusiliers). Lived at Cumbrae Grove Road, Cheam. Harry Squier was born…

The Man Behind the Lens

So far, the focus of these blog posts has been on either the sitters depicted in the glass plates, or upon the physical process of digitising and researching the collection. Little has been said about the photographer himself.  David Knights-Whittome was a talented, self-taught (we assume) photographer who worked in the local area for a period spanning…